Follow by Email

Thursday, September 26, 2019

SOME WONDERFUL HISTORY EVENTS THIS COMING WEEKEND WORTH NOTING!

ONCE IN A WHILE WE BLOW IT BIG IN THE BLOG AND THAT WAS OUR LAST ONE WHERE WE SAID THAT THE PREVOST HOUSE, RARELY OPEN, WOULD BE OPEN ON THE 21ST OF SEPTEMBER.... THE REAL DATE IS THE 28TH OF SEPTEMBER.... IF YOU WENT LAST WEEKEND, WE APOLOGIZE.  IF YOU DIDN'T GO --  NOW'S YOUR CHANCE -- IT IS NOT OPEN OFTEN AND THERE THIS IS A FREE OPEN HOUSE!!
SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21ST:  THE PREVOST FARM HOUSE (ALEXANDIRA TOWNSHIP) OPEN HOUSE: 2 T0 5 PM:  The Prevost House is Alexandria Township's Museum. This beautiful house on the Delaware River was built in 1840.  The museum is dedicated to the history of Alexandria and Holland townships and Milford and Frenchtown boroughs. It is a partnership of the historical societies of Milford and Alexandria, the Holland Township Preservation Commission and Frenchtown borough. The house was donated to Alexandria Township by the American Water Co.  The house will be open to celebrate 305 Years of Hunterdon's Historic Hometowns and Hamlets from 2-5 pm.  110 Frenchtown Road, Milford, NJ 08848.  FREE. NO RESERVATION REQUIRED.


SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28TH: 2 TO 4 PM:  You are cordially invited 1759 Vought House Tour and Update Open House Date: The 1759 Vought House, Grey Rock Road in Annandale, NJ is hosting an Open House.  The Vought House Board is increasing its community outreach. They are inviting all interested persons to see the house and are looking for new members for their Board who can bring skills such as fundraising, membership outreach, grant writing, etc., to their important work restoring the nationally unique and historically important 18th century home.  Please feel free to bring guests and to pass along this invitation to anyone you think might have an interest in helping with this historic Hunterdon County gem.   Parking available at the Clinton Middle School. FREE. NO RESERVATION REQUIRED.


SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 29TH:  HUNTERDON LAND TRUST PRESENTS PROHIBITION AND NEW JERSEY WITH BRIAN ARMSTRONG:  We’ll toast the centennial anniversary of Prohibition with this program that discusses the unforeseen consequences of the “noble experiment” and includes some interesting tales from Hunterdon County and surrounding environs.
FREE - NO RESERVATIONS REQUIRED.
Dvoor Farm, Flemington, NJ
10:30am

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 29TH:  HISTORY LEAPS OUT OF THE DARK IN "CITY OF ROME" TOUR AT OAK GROVE It’s new. It’s different. It’s fun. Walk and hayride into history with the Hunterdon County Historical Society!
Here’s an opportunity to visit the City of Rome on Sunday, September 29 without ever leaving Hunterdon.

This City of Rome was a fantastical real estate development in the hamlet of Oak Grove in Franklin Township. It lasted only from 1899 to 1912 – but took 51 years more until 1963 to clear title to the property so it could be sold as a farm. As the sun sets and twilight descends, Susan Blew, now the owner, will guide guests through the award-winning farm and relate the History of Oak Grove and the City of Rome.

A hayride around the 160-acre farm after dark will visit City of Rome sites that continue to fascinate with echoes of long ago. Wine and light refreshments made from Blew family recipes will be served in their twentieth century vegetable barn to top off the evening. Attendance is limited. Dress is hayride casual.

City of Rome developers headquartered in Newark planned 2,911 lots drawn on 256 acres without care for the streams, mill ponds, and mill races of the hamlet’s only industry. And no bridge to cross the creek. Lots measured 25 by 100 feet and were priced from $20 to $40 each, depending upon location. There were 18 north-south avenues and 10 east-west streets and a planned shoe factory, church, and two schools. Only some 120 lots were sold, but not one owner ever lived on the land. It appears from the list of buyers that wealthy widows were targeted.

The tour includes the 1860 federal style mill house, which the developers called the Mansion Hotel, and the 1849 bank barn, labeled the Hotel Stables. The house still features a free-standing circular stair that led potential buyers to the third-floor ballroom to look over the ambitious project and “get in on the action”.

It’s new. It’s different. It’s fun. Walk and hayride into history with the Hunterdon County Historical Society for $25/adult. All proceeds benefit the Society’s mission to collect, preserve, and share Hunterdon‘s history. Guests should arrive at the farm at 266 Oak Grove Road, Pittstown by 5:30 p.m. to start the adventure promptly at 6:00. The sun sets at 6:43 p.m. that day and dusk falls at 7:10, giving guests daylight time to see the farm, and a new moon evening gathering dark for more drama. Reserve your space by calling the Society at 908.782.1091 today.


EARLY OCTOBER WITH THE 

HUNTERDON 300TH:


TUESDAY, OCTOBER 1ST:  THE HISTORY OF GLEN GARDNER:  Glen Gardner may be a quiet little borough today, but it was home to many industries and events in the past.  Please join the Glen Gardner Historic Committee to delve into the people, places and events of the past.   7 pm, Main Branch of the Library 

Free with Free Refreshments.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 5TH:  WALKING TOUR OF OLDWICK:
TWO OPPORTUNITIES: 10 AM AND 2 PM:
What we know today as Oldwick used to be called New Germantown until 1918, when anti-German sentiment caused the name to be changed to Oldwick.  The reason behind the name Oldwick is that wick means village and since at the time of the change the village was old, it was named Oldwick, meaning old village.  Prior to New Germantown, the village was named Smithfield, after its principal resident Ralph Smith.  Oldwick is on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places and was the first historic district in Tewksbury to have been done so back in 1979, one of the earliest in Hunterdon County.  We’ll see over a dozen different types of architecture employed on Oldwick’s historic business and residential buildings.
Tour length:  2 hours
Free but Reservations are Required
RAIN OR SHINE:  If there is rain, the tour will be inside and Virtual




SUNDAY, OCTOBER 6TH:  WALKING TOUR OF MILFORD:  

Meeting location to be disclosed to those with reservations only.
Limited number of attendees and further details to be announced.

Free bottled water will be available.
Approximately 105 minutes long.LIMITED TO 20 PEOPLE. 

FREE BUT RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. 
Ticket holders will be provided with the starting location of the tour.
A Wait List will be maintained if you are shut out of this event by emailing us at 300info@co.hunterdon.nj.usor leaving a message at (908) 788-2030.
1:30 pm, rain or shine

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/walking-tour-of-milfor-tickets-71285907067


LIMITED SEATS AVAILABLE!!  THURSDAY, OCTOBER 10TH:  THE COLONIAL HISTORY OF FLEMINGTON BOROUGH:
IF YOU RESERVED SEATS IN APRIL, YOU STILL HAVE A RESERVATION! 
Join 18th Century patriots, Colonel and Mrs. Thomas Lowery (played by Cynthia and Vann Smith), who will be visiting Flemington. The Lowerys  will entertain attendees with stories of Colonial Flemington with a focus on their early lives here as immigrants from Ireland and their relationship with the Fleming family.  The Colonel will also tell us about his time in Flemington as a merchant.  He also served as Quartermaster to George Washington during the Revolution.  His warehouse in Flemington, containing stores for the Patriots, was the object of a British raiding party from Penny Town.  This raid resulted in the skirmish with the Flemington Militia led by John Schenk at Geary’s Ridge and the death of Cornet Francis Geary who led the British Cavalry.  Esther Fleming Lowery was also active during the Revolution.  She raised large sums of money to purchase food and clothes to supply Washington’s Army.  Following the Revolution, Esther was one of the Ladies of Trenton who funded and planned the reception to welcome George Washington to New Jersey.  Both Esther and Thomas Lowery were dedicated Patriots. This presentation is courtesy of Flemington's Historic Preservation Commission.
Following the talk by the Lowerys, Susan Peterson, owner of Teaberry's and a food historian, will do a brief talk on colonial sweets and treats.  Fabulous refreshments after the talk courtesy of Susan and Teaberry's.  
7 pm  
Main Branch of the County Library. 
Free.  Reservations Required.  
RESERVE YOUR TICKETS NOW

Saturday, October, 12:  New Hampton Walking Tour:   The New Hampton Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998 for its significance in architecture, commerce, education, transportation, and community development from c. 1780 to 1929. It includes 42 contributing buildings, six contributing sites, and four contributing structures located along Musconetcong River Road.  10 am. 

Rain Date:  October 13th at 11:30
Free bottled water will be available.
LIMITED TO 20 PEOPLE. 
 Rain or shine.
FREE BUT RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. 
Ticket holders will be provided with the starting location of the tour.
A Wait List will be maintained if you are shut out of this event by emailing us at 300info@co.hunterdon.nj.usor leaving a message at (908) 788-2030.

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15TH: GLEN GARDNER/ "IRISHTOWN":  Not much as been written about the Irish in the local histories of Lebanon Township. In 1888, one of the earliest newspaper references to "Irishtown", in connection with Glen Gardner, appeared in the Hunterdon Republican. Another source described Irishtown as a small settlement of Irish families along present day Route 31, between Glen Gardner and High Bridge. The term "small" is misleading.  During the period 1845 -1852, large numbers of Irish, fleeing persecution and starvation in Ireland, emigrated to factory towns like Glen Gardner, High Bridge, Clinton and Lambertville seeking refuge and employment.  By 1866, the area's Irish population was so large that the congregation of nearby St. Ann's Catholic church numbered over a thousand. As late as 1901, Glen Gardner's local newspaper, The Weekly Avalanche, noted that, the factory and local businesses of Glen Gardner were closed on St. Patrick's Day. This presentation by local historian and author Charlie Speierl will explore the social, ethnic and economic history of Glen Gardner, and its little known Irish community, during the 19th century. Causes and factors leading to the Irish diaspora and settlement will also be discussed with this interesting Powerpoint presentation that includes period photos and illustrations.  
7 pm.
Main Branch of the County Library
314 Route 31, Flemington
Free with free refreshments.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 19TH:  WALKING TOUR OF FLEMINGTON:  "BUILDINGS THAT HAVE BEEN MOVED IN THE BOROUGH":   Foran Park Gazebo was originally located?  Have you ever wondered why or how a house or building reached its final destination?  Had it been moved from somewhere else in the Borough?  Join Janice Armstrong, noted historian, preservationist, and heritage educator, for a “Talk and Walk” focusing on 19th and 20th Century House Moving in Flemington Borough.  Janice is a life-long resident of Hunterdon County and a retired teacher from Readington Township.  Her preservation experience includes working with the New Jersey Historic Trust, Preservation New Jersey, and the Samuel Fleming House Museum and Gardens. She has also taught classes at Drew University for their Historic Preservation program.
Janice is currently writing a walking tour script and training tour guides for tours of Flemington.  What started as a simple question about the original location of the Gazebo in Foran Park, led Janice to some interesting stories and photos on house moving.
Relocating buildings was a common practice in the late 19th and 20th centuries here in Flemington.  Unlike today when we tear down and build again, back then building recycling was the norm.  Janice will share some of her stories about and photos of relocated structures, some of which look as though they have always been in their places.  We will need to see some of these “in situ”, so following the “Talk” we will “Walk” to see some of Flemington’s relocated houses, particularly  along Mine and Main Streets.
This talk and walk is open to everyone:  feel free to come just for the talk portion of the program if you are not up to walking afterwards.
This event is courtesy of Flemington's Historic Preservation Commission.
Rain Date:  October 20, 2 pm
Free bottled water will be available. 


Ticket holders will be provided with the starting location of the tour.
2pm
Wait List will be maintained if you are shut out of this event by emailing us or by leaving a message at (908) 788-2030
RESERVE YOUR TICKETS NOW!!



Free bottled water will be available.
LIMITED TO 40 PEOPLE. 
FREE BUT RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. 
Ticket holders will be provided with the starting location of the tour.
A Wait List will be maintained if you are shut out of this event by emailing us at 300info@co.hunterdon.nj.usor leaving a message at (908) 788-2030.

Thursday, September 19, 2019

OPPORTUNITY TO SEE THE PREVOST HOUSE, HISTORY BOWL TEAMS REVEALED AND MORE!

OUR NEXT E-NEWSLETTER WILL INCLUDE ALL OF THE DETAILS, COST AND RESERVATION                     INFORMATION FOR OUR FABULOUS "26 ON THE 26TH" BUS TOUR -- A GRAND DELUXE COACH BUS TOUR OF ALL 26 MUNICIPALITIES ON OCTOBER 26TH.


NEVER BEEN TO THE PREVOST HOUSE?!!?  NOW'S YOUR CHANCE -- IT IS NOT OPEN OFTEN AND THERE IS A FREE OPEN HOUSE TOMORROW!!

WE STILL HAVE SOME SPACE FOR THIS GREAT WALKING TOUR!!  SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21ST:  WALKING TOUR OF HISTORIC ANNANDALE WITH PRESERVATIONIST DENNIS BERTLAND!:  Historic Annandale is the settlement located in the center of Clinton Township (State Route 31, Interstate 78 and County Roads 633 & 626).  This village grew as Clinton Station, a depot of the New Jersey Central Railroad.  Named for a town in Scotland, the population reached 380 people by 1880. A fairly dense and well-defined village, it is composed of 12 blocks and approximately 150+ structures.  The one church in town is the Reformed Church, located on the corner of Beaver Avenue and West Street.  The vast majority of the structures are single-family, detached homes dating from 1840-1910. Please join us for a walking tour of our Annandale Village with historian and preservationist Dennis Bertland as our guest speaker on September 21st.

10 am; Rain Date September 22nd. 
Free bottled water will be available.
Approximately 60 minutes long.
LIMITED TO 20 PEOPLE. 

FREE BUT RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. 
Ticket holders will be provided with the starting location of the tour.
A Wait List will be maintained if you are shut out of this event by emailing us at 300info@co.hunterdon.nj.us or leaving a message at (908) 788-2030.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 21ST:  THE PREVOST FARM HOUSE (ALEXANDIRA TOWNSHIP) OPEN HOUSE:  The Prevost House is Alexandria Township's Museum. This beautiful house on the Delaware River was built in 1840.  The museum is dedicated to the history of Alexandria and Holland townships and Milford and Frenchtown boroughs. It is a partnership of the historical societies of Milford and Alexandria, the Holland Township Preservation Commission and Frenchtown borough. The house was donated to Alexandria Township by the American Water Co.  The house will be open to celebrate 305 Years of Hunterdon's Historic Hometowns and Hamlets from 2-5 pm.  110 Frenchtown Road, Milford, NJ 08848

MEANWHILE, HERE IS THE LINE UP FOR THE FIRST EVER HUNTERDON HISTORY BOWL THIS COMING SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 22ND -- COME JOIN THE FUN! WE HAVE PLENTY OF SEATS, THE TREATS ARE GOING TO BE WONDERFUL AND THE TEAMS ARE PLAYING FOR PRIZES FOR AUDIENCE MEMBERS AND BOASTING GLORY!

 HUNTERDON HISTORY BOWL TEAMS:

TEAM JIM DAVIDSON (TEAM CAPTAIN) (Flemington; East Amwell)
BRIAN ARMSTRONG (County)
MARILYN CUMMINGS (Delaware; County) 
SAL DESAPIO (Revolutionary War; Kingwood; West County)
WILLIAM HONACHEFSKY, JR. (North County; High Bridge)
SHAUN VAN DOREN (Tewksbury; North County) 


TEAM STEPHANIE STEVENS (TEAM CAPTAIN) (County; Readington)
JANICE ARMSTRONG (Milford; Flemington) 
DAVE HARDING (Revolutionary War; East Amwell) 
LORA JONES (County; Franklin) 
CARL MOLTER (West County; Holland) 
PAUL MUIR (North County; Clinton; Bethlehem) 

JUDGES: JOHN KUHL AND DOUG MARTIN


SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 22ND:  HUNTERDON HISTORY BOWL -- TEAM STEPHANIE STEVENS VS. TEAM JIM DAVIDSON:  FIRST EVER -- BATTLE OF THE HISTORIANS!  Join us for some great fun!  Some of Hunterdon's finest county and local historians battle for glory and for prizes for audience members! We promise that this will be funny, witty, playful and spirited!  Participants (currently signed up) in the frivolity include (in alphabetical order) brother and sister battleing on opposite teams Brian Armstrong and Janice Armstrong, Marilyn Cummings, Jim Davidson, Sal DeSapio, Dave Harding, Bill Honachefsky, Jr., Lora Jones, John Kuhl, Doug Martin, Carl Molter, Paul Muir, Stephanie Stevens, and Shaun Van Doren.    

1:30 will be team introductions and the explanation of the rules.  At 2 pm the game starts! Main Branch of the County Library (this venue is subject to change if demand for reservations is high).  

There will be an intermission in between two rounds of competition with refreshments during the intermission and after the game sponsored by Costco of Flemington.


THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 26TH:  THE HISTORIC HAMLETS OF FRANKLIN TOWNSHIP:  Lora Jones, Franklin Township Historian, will take us on a tour through the nine hamlets of Franklin: Cherryville, Sunnyside, Landsdown, Sidney, Grandin, Kingtown, Littletown, and Oak Grove. Starting with the first settlers in the 1720s, she tracks the history of the area, tells some personal stories of its people, and offers  a virtual walking tour of a few dwellings in each hamlet.

7 pm, North Branch of the Library.
Free.  Refreshments follow.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-historic-hamlets-of-franklin-township-tickets-69329902605

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28TH: WALKING TOUR OF MOUNT AIRY:  A small village with a big heart and one of the most picturesque barns in Hunterdon County. Start the day at the historic Mount Airy Presbyterian Church and continue with a tour of the Mount Airy Cemetery, Historic School Building and various other historic sites as guided by members of the West Amwell Township Historical Society.

10 am  FREE BUT RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. 
Rain date September 29th at 2 pm.
Free bottled water will be available.
LIMITED TO 30 PEOPLE. 

Ticket holders will be provided with the starting location of the tour.
A Wait List will be maintained if you are shut out of this event by emailing us at 300info@co.hunterdon.nj.us or leaving a message at (908) 788-2030.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/walking-tour-of-mount-airy-tickets-69818636421

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 28TH: ALEXANDRIA'S PREVOST HOUSE MUSEUM OPEN HOUSE:  Now known as "The Museum of Local History," the Prevost House tours include displays, photos and artifacts from Alexandria, Frenchtown, Holland Township and Milford. 1100 Milford-Frenchtown Road in Alexandria.
1-4 pm -- FREE.  NO RESERVATIONS REQUIRED

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 1ST:  THE HISTORY OF GLEN GARDNER:  Glen Gardner may be a quiet little borough today, but it was home to many industries and events in the past.  Please join the Glen Gardner Historic Committee to delve into the people, places and events of the past.   7 pm, Main Branch of the Library 

Free with Free Refreshments.
SATURDAY, OCTOBER 5TH:  WALKING TOUR OF OLDWICK:
TWO OPPORTUNITIES: 10 AM AND 2 PM:
What we know today as Oldwick used to be called New Germantown until 1918, when anti-German sentiment caused the name to be changed to Oldwick.  The reason behind the name Oldwick is that wick means village and since at the time of the change the village was old, it was named Oldwick, meaning old village.  Prior to New Germantown, the village was named Smithfield, after its principal resident Ralph Smith.  Oldwick is on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places and was the first historic district in Tewksbury to have been done so back in 1979, one of the earliest in Hunterdon County.  We’ll see over a dozen different types of architecture employed on Oldwick’s historic business and residential buildings.
Tour length:  2 hours
Free but Reservations are Required
RAIN OR SHINE:  If there is rain, the tour will be inside and Virtual




SUNDAY, OCTOBER 6TH:  WALKING TOUR OF MILFORD:  

Meeting location to be disclosed to those with reservations only.
Limited number of attendees and further details to be announced.

Free bottled water will be available.
Approximately 105 minutes long.LIMITED TO 20 PEOPLE. 

FREE BUT RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. 
Ticket holders will be provided with the starting location of the tour.
A Wait List will be maintained if you are shut out of this event by emailing us at 300info@co.hunterdon.nj.usor leaving a message at (908) 788-2030.
1:30 pm, rain or shine

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/walking-tour-of-milfor-tickets-71285907067


LIMITED SEATS AVAILABLE!!  THURSDAY, OCTOBER 10TH:  THE COLONIAL HISTORY OF FLEMINGTON BOROUGH:
IF YOU RESERVED SEATS IN APRIL, YOU STILL HAVE A RESERVATION! 
Join 18th Century patriots, Colonel and Mrs. Thomas Lowery (played by Cynthia and Vann Smith), who will be visiting Flemington. The Lowerys  will entertain attendees with stories of Colonial Flemington with a focus on their early lives here as immigrants from Ireland and their relationship with the Fleming family.  The Colonel will also tell us about his time in Flemington as a merchant.  He also served as Quartermaster to George Washington during the Revolution.  His warehouse in Flemington, containing stores for the Patriots, was the object of a British raiding party from Penny Town.  This raid resulted in the skirmish with the Flemington Militia led by John Schenk at Geary’s Ridge and the death of Cornet Francis Geary who led the British Cavalry.  Esther Fleming Lowery was also active during the Revolution.  She raised large sums of money to purchase food and clothes to supply Washington’s Army.  Following the Revolution, Esther was one of the Ladies of Trenton who funded and planned the reception to welcome George Washington to New Jersey.  Both Esther and Thomas Lowery were dedicated Patriots. This presentation is courtesy of Flemington's Historic Preservation Commission.
Following the talk by the Lowerys, Susan Peterson, owner of Teaberry's and a food historian, will do a brief talk on colonial sweets and treats.  Fabulous refreshments after the talk courtesy of Susan and Teaberry's.  
7 pm  
Main Branch of the County Library. 
Free.  Reservations Required.  
RESERVE YOUR TICKETS NOW

Saturday, October, 12:  New Hampton Walking Tour:   The New Hampton Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1998 for its significance in architecture, commerce, education, transportation, and community development from c. 1780 to 1929. It includes 42 contributing buildings, six contributing sites, and four contributing structures located along Musconetcong River Road.  10 am. 

Rain Date:  October 13th at 11:30
Free bottled water will be available.
LIMITED TO 20 PEOPLE. 
 Rain or shine.
FREE BUT RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. 
Ticket holders will be provided with the starting location of the tour.
A Wait List will be maintained if you are shut out of this event by emailing us at 300info@co.hunterdon.nj.usor leaving a message at (908) 788-2030.

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15TH: GLEN GARDNER/ "IRISHTOWN":  Not much as been written about the Irish in the local histories of Lebanon Township. In 1888, one of the earliest newspaper references to "Irishtown", in connection with Glen Gardner, appeared in the Hunterdon Republican. Another source described Irishtown as a small settlement of Irish families along present day Route 31, between Glen Gardner and High Bridge. The term "small" is misleading.  During the period 1845 -1852, large numbers of Irish, fleeing persecution and starvation in Ireland, emigrated to factory towns like Glen Gardner, High Bridge, Clinton and Lambertville seeking refuge and employment.  By 1866, the area's Irish population was so large that the congregation of nearby St. Ann's Catholic church numbered over a thousand. As late as 1901, Glen Gardner's local newspaper, The Weekly Avalanche, noted that, the factory and local businesses of Glen Gardner were closed on St. Patrick's Day. This presentation by local historian and author Charlie Speierl will explore the social, ethnic and economic history of Glen Gardner, and its little known Irish community, during the 19th century. Causes and factors leading to the Irish diaspora and settlement will also be discussed with this interesting Powerpoint presentation that includes period photos and illustrations.  
7 pm.
Main Branch of the County Library
314 Route 31, Flemington
Free with free refreshments.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 19TH:  WALKING TOUR OF FLEMINGTON:  "BUILDINGS THAT HAVE BEEN MOVED IN THE BOROUGH":   Foran Park Gazebo was originally located?  Have you ever wondered why or how a house or building reached its final destination?  Had it been moved from somewhere else in the Borough?  Join Janice Armstrong, noted historian, preservationist, and heritage educator, for a “Talk and Walk” focusing on 19th and 20th Century House Moving in Flemington Borough.  Janice is a life-long resident of Hunterdon County and a retired teacher from Readington Township.  Her preservation experience includes working with the New Jersey Historic Trust, Preservation New Jersey, and the Samuel Fleming House Museum and Gardens. She has also taught classes at Drew University for their Historic Preservation program.
Janice is currently writing a walking tour script and training tour guides for tours of Flemington.  What started as a simple question about the original location of the Gazebo in Foran Park, led Janice to some interesting stories and photos on house moving.
Relocating buildings was a common practice in the late 19th and 20th centuries here in Flemington.  Unlike today when we tear down and build again, back then building recycling was the norm.  Janice will share some of her stories about and photos of relocated structures, some of which look as though they have always been in their places.  We will need to see some of these “in situ”, so following the “Talk” we will “Walk” to see some of Flemington’s relocated houses, particularly  along Mine and Main Streets.
This talk and walk is open to everyone:  feel free to come just for the talk portion of the program if you are not up to walking afterwards.
This event is courtesy of Flemington's Historic Preservation Commission.
Rain Date:  October 20, 2 pm
Free bottled water will be available. 


Ticket holders will be provided with the starting location of the tour.
2pm
A Wait List will be maintained if you are shut out of this event by emailing us or by leaving a message at (908) 788-2030
RESERVE YOUR TICKETS NOW!!



Free bottled water will be available.
LIMITED TO 40 PEOPLE. 
FREE BUT RESERVATIONS ARE REQUIRED. 
Ticket holders will be provided with the starting location of the tour.
A Wait List will be maintained if you are shut out of this event by emailing us at 300info@co.hunterdon.nj.usor leaving a message at (908) 788-2030.


BUS TOUR RESERVATIONS WILL BE TAKEN WITH THE NEXT E-NEWSLETTER/BLOG - LOOK FOR IT IN MID-SEPTEMBER.  WE EXPECT THIS TRIP TO SELL OUT FAST.  WE WILL BE TAKING A WAIT LIST AND MAY BE OFFERING THIS EXPERIENCE AGAIN IN THE SPRING OF 2020!

COMING LATE FALL AND WINTER:  MORE CELEBRATIONS OF OUR HOMETOWNS AND HAMLETS OVER THE LAST 305 YEARS!:

Saturday, October 26:  Bus Tour of 26 Municipalities with 6 Stops 9 am to 4:30 pm, details tba
Sunday, October 27:  Walking Tour of Amsterdam, 1 pm
Sunday, October 27: Joseph Turner House Open House, 2 - 5 pm
Saturday, November 2:  Walking Tour of Reaville, 10 am; Rain or Shine
Saturday, November 9:  Walking Tour of Frenchtown – Cemetery, 2 pm; Rain Date:  November 10, 2 pm
Sunday, November 17:  The History of the Hamlet of Wertsville, 2 pm, Main Branch of the Library
Tuesday, December 3:  Lebanon Township's New Hampton Hamlet, 7pm, North Branch of the Library
Saturday, December 14:  The Hunterdon 300th’s Annual Holiday Children’s Historic Crafts and Sale, 10 am to 2 pm, Main Branch of the County Library

A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO OUR COOKIE ANGEL, JANICE GROVER, OWNER OF GROVER GLOBAL FOOD MARKETING IN EAST AMWELL, WHO CONTINUES TO PROVIDE IMPORTED COOKIES FOR OUR TALKS.

 A SPECIAL THANK YOU TO OUR     SPECIAL SPONSOR FOR 2019,       
       COSTCO OF FLEMINGTON!       

   HISTORICAL AND HERITAGE        
           EVENTS FROM AROUND        
               THE COUNTY:                    


THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 19TH:  WEST PORTAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY FALL PRESENTATION BY RETIRED HISTORY TEACHER/AUTHOR, LARRY KIDDER: Based on Mr. Kidder's latest  book, "The Ten Crucial Days:  Washington's Vision for Victory Unfolds" -- focusing on the people of NJ, AND, obviously, including Bethlehem Township; and how their lives were influenced by events from December 25, 1776, to January 3, 1777. 
Entry:  $5 donation.
6:30pm at the Bethlehem Township Community Center at 405 Mine Road, Asbury, NJ
Light refreshments.


SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS THRU OCTOBER: THE ART OF NATURAL EXPRESSION EXHIBIT:  East Amwell Township Museum
Featuring the art of Angela Marie Franco and Donna Foran
Saturday and Sundays
1pm to 4pm
East Amwell Township Museum
1053 Old York Road, Ringoes, NJ 

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 29TH:  HUNTERDON LAND TRUST PRESENTS PROHIBITION AND NEW JERSEY WITH BRIAN ARMSTRONG:  We’ll toast the centennial anniversary of Prohibition with this program that discusses the unforeseen consequences of the “noble experiment” and includes some interesting tales from Hunterdon County and surrounding environs.


SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 29TH:  HUNTERDON COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY PRESENTS: History Leaps Out of the Dark in City of Rome Tour at Oak Grove:  
Here’s an opportunity to visit the City of Rome without ever leaving Hunterdon.
This City of Rome was a fantastical real estate development in the hamlet of Oak Grove in Franklin Township. It lasted only from 1899 to 1912 – but took 51 years more until 1963 to clear title to the property so it could be sold as a farm. As the sun sets and twilight descends, Susan Blew, now the owner, will guide guests through the award-winning farm and relate the History of Oak Grove and the City of Rome.
READ MORE ABOUT THIS ON THE HISTORICAL SOCIETY'S WEBSITE
$25/adult
5:30 pm
266 Oak Grove Road, Pittstown, NJ 08867



SUNDAY, OCTOBER 6TH: READINGTON MUSEUMS PRESENTS 19TH CENTURY READINGTON SCHOOL VISIT AT COLD BROOK SCHOOL:  The Readington Museums’ Cold Brook School, originally built in 1828, will be open for visitors to see what it was like to attend school in the early nineteenth-century.
Visitors will have the opportunity to become abecedarians, try their hand at orthography using a quill pen and ink, cipher mathematical problems, and learn a sample of New Jersey history. For recess, visitors can play a variety of nineteenth-century games, such as rolling hoops in the meadow.
Apple cider and homemade bread with apple butter will be available.
Readington Township acquired the property in 1993, and volunteers worked together to rebuild the school house and furnish it as it would have been in the 1830s, with slab benches and board desks around the outside walls and a schoolmaster’s desk in the center. A wood stove provided the only heat, and the families were responsible for providing the firewood. The School Master or Mistress would start the fire early in the morning, and the school boys would be responsible for keeping it going throughout the day. A typical school day went from eight in the morning until four in the afternoon. It was not uncommon for children to attend school for a half day on Saturdays as well. Parents paid for their children’s schooling—usually about $1.50 per child per term.
1PM TO 4PM
190 Potterstown Road, Lebanon, NJ
Visit the Readington Museums Website



SATURDAY, OCTOBER 12TH:  READINGTON MUSEUMS PRESENTS BARN DANCE:  Put on your dancing shoes for a night of family fun as the Readington Museums will host its bi-annual Barn Dance. The dance will be held inside the eighteenth-century Wade-Wyckoff Barn on the Bouman-Stickney Farmstead property. This family friendly event is a wonderful way to have fun with the entire family as no experience is necessary. Caller, Betsy Gotta, will give easy to follow instructions before each dance so even a beginner will be able to dance the night away. There is a suggested donation of $5.00 per adult and $2.00 per child. Refreshments will be available.
7PM TO 9:30PM
Visit the Readington Museums Website


SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 29TH:  History Leaps Out of the Dark In City of Rome Tour at Oak Grove:  
Here’s an opportunity to visit the City of Rome on Sunday, September 29 without ever leaving Hunterdon.
This City of Rome was a fantastical real estate development in the hamlet of Oak Grove in Franklin Township. It lasted only from 1899 to 1912 – but took 51 years more until 1963 to clear title to the property so it could be sold as a farm. As the sun sets and twilight descends, Susan Blew, now the owner, will guide guests through the award-winning farm and relate the History of Oak Grove and the City of Rome.
It’s new. It’s different. It’s fun. Walk into history with the Hunterdon County Historical Society for $25/adult. All proceeds benefit the Society’s mission to collect, preserve, and share Hunterdon‘s history. Guests should arrive at the farm at 266 Oak Grove Road, Pittstown by 5:30 p.m. to start the adventure promptly at 6:00. The sun sets at 6:43 p.m. that day and dusk falls at 7:10, giving guests daylight time to see the farm, and a new moon evening gathering dark for more drama. Reserve your space by calling the Society at 908.782.1091 today.
A hayride around the 160-acre farm after dark will visit City of Rome sites that continue to fascinate with echoes of long ago. Wine and light refreshments made from Blew family recipes will be served in their twentieth century vegetable barn to top off the evening. Attendance is limited. Dress is hayride casual.
City of Rome developers headquartered in Newark planned 2,911 lots drawn on 256 acres without care for the streams, mill ponds, and mill races of the hamlet’s only industry. And no bridge to cross the creek. Lots measured 25 by 100 feet and were priced from $20 to $40 each, depending upon location. There were 18 north-south avenues and 10 east-west streets and a planned shoe factory, church, and two schools. Only some 120 lots were sold, but not one owner ever lived on the land. It appears from the list of buyers that wealthy widows were targeted.
The tour includes the 1860 federal style mill house, which the developers called the Mansion Hotel, and the 1849 bank barn, labeled the Hotel Stables. The house still features a free-standing circular stair that led potential buyers to the third-floor ballroom to look over the ambitious project and “get in on the action”.